There can be many reasons you get itchy skin in the summer: various skin conditions, rashes, heat bumps, athletes’ foot and especially eczema can all worsen during this season. These itches are mostly due to the heat and humidity causing us to sweat.
Why do I sweat?
Sweating is perfectly normal, and fine – it’s our body’s way of cooling down. We do actually need to sweat, with over 4 million sweat glands all over our body working hard to regulate our temperature.
In fact you could be dehydrated if you do not sweat much and you might need to drink more water.
Why does sweating make me itch?
The sweat evaporates on our skin leaving behind salts which can irritate eczema skin and make it feel tight and itchy. Another reason can be that dirt and impurities have now got into the sweat glands that had opened up to release the sweat.
Sweat and eczema do not go well together and some find it very hard to cope with the intense itching. The most intense areas appear to be the skin creases, the insides of the elbows, the backs of the knees and the feet.
The best thing to do in the summer is to try to keep cool; I know that’s easier said than done.
Tips for keeping cool in the summer
- Try to avoid being outside in direct sunlight especially in the midday sun, keep the shade if possible
- Use a fan
- Wear light cotton clothing to keep the risk of getting over-heated to a minimum
- Use a water mist spray or a bottle of water to rinse your skin
- Bath whenever you can in lukewarm water
- Wash your skin with our Deep Cleansing Bar to rid any impurities from the skin, with its antiseptic and purifying qualities
- Moisturise with the Derma Protector to hydrate and protect your skin, providing it with a barrier – remembering to re-apply each time you bathe or get wet.
Try to keep cool with these tips and enjoy yourself this summer.
Also if you are taking a trip to the beach some of the above methods can also help to soothe and protect your skin from the sea and sand which can also be a painful for eczema sufferers with the summer itch.
Join Syrinx ZA Natural Skin Care Promotions
Keep up to date on the latest content, here at Syrinx ZA Natural Skin Care.
We send out promotions and special offers for our customers and discover natural ways to have healthy skin.