What is dermatitis?
Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin (derma = skin, itis = inflammation). Often classified alongside eczema, some people define dermatitis as the acute condition, and eczema as the chronic condition.
There are two main types of dermatitis:
- Atopic dermatitis (flares up all over the skin; often inherited; common in children and teenagers)
- Contact dermatitis (flares up where irritants or allergens come into contact with sensitive skin)
Other types of dermatitis include:
- Dermatitis herpetiformis (linked with coeliac disease / gluten intolerance)
- Seborrheic dermatitis (common in infants and those aged 30-70)
- Nummular dermatitis (rare; no known cause; affects middle-aged people)
- Statis dermatitis (affects the lower legs of people with varicose veins)
- Perioral dermatitis (affects women aged 20-60)
- Infective dermatitis (occurs secondary to a skin infection)
What causes dermatitis?
Triggers for dermatitis vary from one person to the next, but the most common causes include natural and chemical irritants such as dust, cigarette smoke, dry air, solvents, hydrocarbons and sweat.
What are the symptoms of dermatitis?
Dermatitis skin will have red burning patches or blisters that feel stinging, sore and itchy. The condition is often worse at night.
Can dermatitis be cured?
No. The only cure is to avoid the trigger, but there are some treatments that relieve the symptoms.
Can dermatitis be treated?
Yes. Doctors will prescribe steroid ointments, creams or lotions that reduce inflammation but can irritate and even thin sensitive skin. Long-term, steroids can even make dermatitis worse. We recommend a natural treatment regime.
Natural treatment for dermatitis
Here’s our three-stage treatment for dermatitis:
- Use our Deep Cleansing Therapy Bar for its deep cleansing effect
- Apply our Ultra-sensitive Therapy Cream for 24-hour hydration
- Add our Moisturising Therapy Balm for extra protection, especially outdoors
This treatment regime has been clinically proven to be non-irritant, and users report results within just a fortnight.
The reason why our products achieve such results are due to these key ingredients mixed with other natural components:
- Zander: 6,000-year old sediment from North European lakes that heals and repairs skin
- Argan: Moroccan nut oil with soothing and moisturising qualities
- Tea tree oil: protects sensitive skin
If you suffer from dermatitis, please read our Dermatitis page, and use the comments section below if you have any questions.
Join Syrinx ZA Natural Skin Care Promotions
Keep up to date on the latest content, here at Syrinx ZA Natural Skin Care.
We send out promotions and special offers for our customers and discover natural ways to have healthy skin.